- Like to have good appetizers on hand
- Don’t like to put forth much effort for said appetizers
- Have random bread bits in your freezer at all time
- Hate good photography (I was in a hurry, sorry)
For this no-stress no-fail appetizer, you’ll need the following:
- Thinly sliced bread – I use baguette, but whatever you have is great!
- Lemon Zest
The parm can be freshly grated or the pre-ground stuff in a can. Either works fine! In terms of amounts, you’ll need just enough butter to barely cover the bottom of the pan when it’s melted, and you’ll need a light sprinkle of cheese and lemon zest over all the bread – so your amounts depend on how much bread you’re making!
First, zest the lemon and grate the parm so you’ll have it on hand.
Melt some butter in a pan over medium heat and spread the toast in the butter – wiggle it around so all the pieces get buttered but not any one gets drenched. It’s not hard.
Toast the bread for about 3 minutes on the first side until golden brown, then flip it over – no need to add more butter!
Now, I could eat that just by itself, but why not add a few more flavors to it? Sprinkle the whole pan with lemon zest and cheese once the toasts are crispy, then shake them around so the cheese melts and the zest evenly distributes and gets pressed into the bread.
Since this isn’t a spread there will be fun little bits of zest and cheese everywhere, but that’s the best part!
The zest and cheese only need about a minute to warm through, then you’re ready to serve!
You know that I’m going to recommend serving these toasts with roasted tomatoes, which I’ll talk more about today. What else would I do with them?
- Drizzle them with honey and serve with goat cheese for spreading
- Put them on a platter with deli meats, cheeses, and pickles for a fun starter
- Dip them in hummus – the lemon zest will complement the juice in the hummus!
- Serve them alongside orzo or pasta with cream sauce – this doesn’t have to be an appetizer!
Lemon zest is an easy and versatile ingredient that adds SO MUCH to many dishes. Play around with toast and see what else you come up with!