Mac and cheese is just one of those things that isn’t overly healthy no matter WHAT you do. However, when you’re trying to stay healthy there are a few switches you can make that will decrease your fat and calorie count without killing the flavor of the meal.
That’s what we’re going to talk about today!
The base of this recipe can be found here – just make the following switches:
- When you start the sauce with the oil/butter/flour, use all olive oil for a heart-healthier fat content, and only use 3 tablespoons. Use three tablespoons of flour, too.
- Use skim milk to thicken the sauce – you’ll cut tons of fat and calories here!
- If the skim milk/olive oil/flour sauce is very thin, add 2 tablespoons more milk mixed (very well) with 1 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch and let it bubble to thicken the milk even more.
- Instead of monterrey jack cheese, use part-skim mozzarella. You’ll still get a nice cheesiness without the calories!
- Use 1 cup of EXTRA sharp cheddar instead of 1 1/2 cups – the flavor from the extra sharpness won’t make you miss the extra half cup!
See? Mac and cheese lightened up. Simple switches like this will keep you out of the “gotta lose 20 lbs right NOW” category of folks on January 1. I promise!