You can read about it here if you haven’t memorized all my recipes yet.
Those flatbreads are fabulous, and can be topped in SO many ways. Here are just a few ideas I have for toppings and calorie reduction that are delicious, simple, and healthy!
- No matter how you top them, swap out the olive oil brushed on both sides of the tortilla and use cooking spray (they have olive oil in cans, ya’know!) on both sides instead. You’ll save tons of calories!
- Use whole-wheat tortillas and CHECK LABELS! Pick a brand of tortilla that has a low calorie and fat content.
- Spinach and Onions: Top the tortilla with a handful of fresh or frozen (squeezed dry) spinach, the carmelized onions from the first recipe, and just a tiny sprinkle of low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Pesto: Top the tortilla with torn fresh basil leaves, lemon zest, grated garlic, pine nuts, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. YUM!
- Chicken Picatta: Top with shredded white-meat chicken, capers, lemon zest, and a sprinkle of your favorite cheese.
- Spring Roll: Saute finely shredded cabbage and carrot with a dash of soy sauce. Top the tortilla with the soy veggies, crushed peanuts, and chili-garlic sauce (Sriracha).
By using toppings with fewer fat and calories and just a hint of cheese, we end up with snacks that are low on fat and carbs but high on nutrients and flavor! Let me know how else you like topping these little goodies!