Note: this recipe has been updated with a few new instructions and to be made into a spicy crab poke bowl. Find the recipe here!
You know how at sushi restaurants sometimes they have Crab Salad rolls but really it’s just fake crab mixed with mayo?
And sometimes there are Spicy Crab rolls that really are just fake crab mixed with mayo and spicy stuff?
Welp, I have a confession. I love crab salad. And spicy crab salad. And when either of those things are made into a sushi roll? I’m a seriously happy human being.
So, you know sometimes my family makes homemade sushi on weekends. You can click here if you missed that one. It’s super fun, light, and delicious, and you can make whatever components of sushi that you really like to customize the meal to your preferences!
This crab salad has 4 ingredients and can be as mild or as spicy as you’d like it to be. It tastes like lots of things I’ve had in various sushi restaurants, and I think you’ll LOVE IT.
Also, you don’t have to eat it on sushi. You can eat it as a dip, in a scoop over a salad, plain with a spoon….you get the picture.
Here’s what you need, for 2/3 cup or so of salad (since it’s mayo-based you don’t need to eat a ton of it):
- 1 scallion
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- sriracha chili sauce, to taste
- 6 – 8 oz imitation crab sticks or flakes
That’s it! These are cheap and widely available ingredients. I use Japanese mayo, which has slightly more vinegar than American mayonnaise. Use any kind you like, though! I don’t know why imitation crab is often found in sushi, but it is, here and in Japan. Don’t be afraid of it! It’s made mostly of white fish and tastes super delicious.
First, finely chop or shred the crab with your fingers. Add it to a bowl with the mayo and sriracha. We love things spicy, so I started with 1 tablespoon, but add as much or as little as you’d like to start.
Then, thinly slice the scallion.
Add the scallion to the crab mixture….
….then stir everything together. Now, taste it! Add more mayo if you want it to be more creamy, or more sriracha if you need more heat.
When the salad tastes as spicy as you’d like it to taste, you’re done!
I think this would be super delish on bread….sort of like an egg salad sandwich or something. Am I crazy? This could also just be served alongside rice and stir-fried veggies….I can think of tons of ways to use this!
No matter what you do, make this ASAP and enjoy it!
This is so yummy that I updated it in 2018. Find the recipe here!
- 1 whole Scallion, Thinly Sliced
- 8 ounces, weight Imitation Crab Flakes Or Sticks, Shredded Or Roughly Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (2-4, To Your Preference)
- Sriracha Chili Sauce, To Taste
- Combine the scallion, crab, mayo (start with 2 tablespoons), and a drizzle of sriracha in a small bowl.
- Taste – add more mayo if you’d like a creamier salad, or more sriracha for spicier. I start with 1 teaspoon of sriracha and usually add more.
- Serve with white rice, on sandwiches, with rice cakes, or over a cabbage salad – you can’t go wrong with this one!