Ohhhhhhhh this is comfort food but it tastes like Mexican food and it’s so easy and you can make it ahead and it’s vegetarian but hearty and filling and cheesy.
This rice is all of the things.
Also, how was your weekend? Mine was kind of …. rained out. I had 93737 fun things planned for the sunshine, and then there wasn’t any so….whomp whomp.
We DID, however, celebrate a full year in our house! I did 3 loads of laundry to celebrate. Cool, huh?
So, the rice. We need rice (white or brown, your choice), stock, cream cheese (mine is vegan!), sour cream, a green onion, green chilies, green pepper, cumin, and grated cheese. Feel free to use whatever kind you like….I was feeling lazy and pre-grated just felt right to me.
Now, onto the stock! I like chicken stock in this – that with the cheese kind of ends up tasting like cream of chicken soup, which is lovely even if chemical-laden, but vegetable stock or even water would work just fine! Just add the amount of liquid that the instructions indicate for your rice. Then, cover the rice and cook using the directions provided until the rice is juuuuuuust cooked. Don’t let it go too long – it’ll cook a bit more in the oven!
Now, spread this into a baking dish, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese all over the top. I drizzled in a tiny bit of milk because I wasn’t going to bake my rice until later and didn’t wait to dry out. You can add 2 tablespoons of milk to your mixture, or not. Totally up to you.
Now, let’s cook this and eat! There are two options for cooking here: baking or broiling. If you make the rice, stir everything together, then immediately want to eat it it’ll still be hot, so you can just broil the cheese for 3 minutes or so and serve!
Like this. Duh. OR, if you make this in advance, bake the rice for 20 – 30 minutes at 375F until it’s heated through and the cheese on top has melted. It’s totally up to you which method you use, and it all depends on how far in advance you make this nonsense.
Try this soon, friends. It’ll make your taste buds happy. Promise.
- 1 cup rice
- stock - enough to cook the rice per package directions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup shredded cheese, your choice
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz canned green chilies (2 small cans)
- Heat a pot to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the cumin and green pepper. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the rice. Stir for 2 minutes to coat the rice in the oil and lightly toast, then add the scallion whites and the stock. Cover, and cook the rice until done.
- To the cooked rice, add the sour cream, cream cheese, canned chilies, and half the grated cheese. Stir, and taste. Add salt if you'd like.
- Spread the rice mixture into a baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese.
- To cook, broil the top (if the rice is still hot), or bake at 375F for 20 - 30 minutes until hot throughout and melty on top.
- Make this up to 3 days ahead and keep in the fridge - bake whenever you'd like to eat it!
- Sunflower Supper Club ~ Kim & Julie
- 4 Little Fergusons~ Tonya
- The Country Cook~ Brandie
- Mommy Time Party ~ Tabitha
- The Better Baker ~ Marsha