Guys this salad.
a dance…or a celebration.…a very very good salad.
Similes aren’t really my thing.
Whatever. This salad is GREAT. I wanted a really fun salad to go with this tahini dressing I made last week, and this one DEFINITELY fits that bill. The combination of flavors and textures is my absolute favorite – the earthy tahini, super sweet peas, super salty pancetta…you will LOVE this.
Of course, like any salad, you could use any old ingredients you have. If I had to choose, I’d say the pancetta, sugar snap peas, and scallions are the most important things here. Other veggies or cheese can be swapped out.
You’ll want the dressing already made. Click here to see how I did that!
First, let’s bake the pancetta so it gets crispy and lovely. Preheat the oven to 400F, and lay the pancetta in one layer on a baking sheet. 2 – 3 slices per salad is good for an entree, or just one slice per salad if your’re making these as side salads.
Now, when I make salads I get picky about how I assemble them. I know this surprises you. I like to have all the lettuce and veggies scattered together nicely first, THEN I drizzle dressing on. Before non-veggie toppings. This is crucial.
Ok, so it’s not really crucial, but I think that if you have the cheese/meat/crouton type of toppings on top of the dressing you taste them more and they don’t get lost in the dressing. So, I sprinkle on cheese and crunch the pancetta into little bits over the dressed salad.
And that’s it! Sweet, crunchy peas, sharp cheese and dressing, deep dressing flavors….you absolutely must make this very soon – it’s perfect for summer!
Bear with us. Meat and potatoes shall return to our regular programming on August 11.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, your choice
- 1/4 cup sugar snap peas, halved
- 2 whole scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 small tomatoes or 1 large tomato, cut into chunks
- 2 ounces Jarlsberg or other cheese, shredded
- 6 thin slices pancetta
- 3 tablespoons lemon tahini dressing, see post for link
- Preheat the oven to 400F while you separate the pancetta into one layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until the pancetta is crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- To assemble, top the green evenly with the tomatoes, scallions, and peas. Drizzle with the dressing. Top the salads with crumbled pancetta and the cheese.