I made you something vegan to go on top of beef.
Sorry about that. I realized that we hadn’t had a vegan recipe in a while, though, and I wanted to separate this slaw out so if you’re into that kind of thing you wouldn’t run screaming when you saw the carnitas from yesterday because….they weren’t vegan.
When I made the carnitas, I really wanted something without too many flavors that would take away from the meat. The slaw turned out REALLY great on its own, though! You can make it super spicy with a whole jalapeno, seeds and all, or you can skip the pepper altogether, or take out the seeds….whatever works for you.
To build the slaw, add the pepper, cabbage, and fennel to a bowl with the juice of half a lime – a whole lime if you’re really into tang.
- 1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small bulbs fennel, cored, thinly sliced, and stems sliced
- 1 whole jalapeno, thinly sliced (remove the seeds and ribs if you don't like a ton of spice)
- 1/2 lime (whole if it's super teeny)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Toss all ingredients together and taste: add more lime juice or some salt to your preference.
- Serve as desired - makes a great topping for tacos!