YAY FOR THIS AWESOME NEW SNACK! I made pizza for my family a few weeks ago because I felt like it, and a byproduct of that fun lunch was a leetle bit of leftover pepperoni, which of course I decided to use in an obnoxious way to make THIS. A quesadilla topped with pizza stuff.
It’s easy, it doesn’t take long to make, it’s REALLY good, and you will love love LOVE it. Promise. Let’s not waste a single minute!
You need tortillas, grated cheese, pepperoni, parmesan, and tomato sauce. You could of course use fancier pizza sauce or make your own, but what I love about this is that the most basic ingredients still yield a really delicious result. You can fancy it up as much as you’d like though!
These pictures were taken making one quesadilla with 2 large tortillas. It’s enough to serve 2 for dinner or 4-ish for a snack, which is what we did. If you’d like to make a lot of these, you could layer everything on a baking sheet and bake lots of quesadillas at once at 375F until the tortillas are slightly crispy at the edges and the cheese is melty and oozy and bubbly. YUM.
For one pizzadilla, though, a skillet works great! A one-dish meal! Yay! I like to half-cook the pepperoni first because it gets crunchier that way AND some of the grease ends up on a paper towel. If you don’t care about those things, skip this first step.
In a large skillet that can go in the oven, add the pepperoni in one layer and turn the heat to medium. Let the pepperoni cook for 5 minutes or so to start rendering some of the fat – we don’t want it to get totally crispy, just a little cooked. Turn the broiler to high, too, at this point.
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 ounce sliced pepperoni (enough to make 1 layer over 1 tortilla)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons tomato or pizza sauce
- Preheat the broiler to high. In an oven proof large skillet, add the pepperoni over medium heat for 5 minutes to slightly cook. Remove the pepperoni to paper towels to drain while you build the quesadilla.
- In the same skillet, add one tortilla, half the shredded cheese, and the second tortilla. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the cheese begins to melt, then flip. Turn the heat off the stove.
- Top the quesadilla with the tomato sauce, remaining shredded cheese, pepperoni, and the parmesan. Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and pepperoni is crisp. Let rest for 2 minutes, then slide out of the skillet and cut into wedges. Enjoy!
- To make several pizzadillas at a time, simply layer the tortillas, cheese, sauce, and pepperoni on a baking sheet. Bake as many as you'd like at 375F for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is melted and pepperoni is crispy.
- Using large tortillas, this will serve 2 for a meal or 4 as an appetizer.
- Switch it up! Using different cheeses, toppings, and sauce can make this different a thousand ways.