I made this last week for Christmas – on Christmas Eve my family bounces around from various church services and we eat appetizers and watch Elf and talk too loudly, and this just WENT with that kind of a night. It is probably one of the most simple things I’ve ever made, but the flavor is seriously delicious.
Let’s waste no time. I give you….Curry Chicken Dip.
Besides chicken (2 breasts for a 3-4 cup batch), you need curry powder, heavy cream, a brick of cream cheese, a clove of garlic, and a scallion. Boom. Done. Let the cream cheese soften out of the fridge for a little while.
Let’s start the chicken first! Heat up a skillet (this was a maiden voyage with my first ever cast iron skillet. wee!) with a drizzle of olive oil, then add the chicken and sprinkle liberally with salt and curry powder.
After 5 minutes or so, when you can see white cooked chicken creeping up the sides, flip the chicken and season the other side. I cut into the chicken to see if it was done because I’m a terrible cook. Whatevs. When cooked through, turn off the skillet and let the chicken cool.
Use two forks to shred the chicken. I did this in the skillet and then stirred the chicken into its own drippings, which smell SO dang good, but you can move the chicken to a plate or bowl. No worries.
Now, let’s stir. Add the shredded chicken, garlic, scallion, cream cheese, and more curry powder to a bowl, and stir! I use a fork to stir because I think it helps break up the cream cheese a little easier. If the cream cheese is super firm, nuke the whole mixture for 10 seconds at a time until you can stir.
Now, taste. This is where you may or may not add salt and heavy cream. If the mixture is super thick, add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve a spreadable consistency. I used 1 tablespoon and added a sprinkle of salt and I was done!
To which I silently replied by grabbing sriracha from the fridge, slamming it on the counter, and huffing about because those two are NEVER HAPPY unless their food makes them sweat. And because I take suggestions about food REALLY well.
Not really. What I meant was if you like things spicy maybe add some sriracha or other hot sauce? Enjoy this, friends! It’s delicious, incredibly flavorful, and perfect for a quick party snack.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 - 2 tablespoons heavy cream, if needed
- crackers, bread, or crudite, for serving
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the chicken, and sprinkle with salt and some of the curry powder. Flip after 5 minutes, and finish cooking through. Let cool, and shred with two forks.
- In a bowl, add the chicken, cream cheese, garlic, scallion, and remaining curry powder. Stir using a fork to combine. Taste, and add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to thin if needed, and add salt to your preference.
- Serve as desired. Enjoy!