This was actually Jay’s idea: he wanted something not quite so cheesy and fried, and we both love Mexican flavors and hummus so….refried bean hummus with roasted jalapeno was born. I’m all “pass the beer and cheese,” but I aim to please this husband of mine, so this one’s for him.
First, we roast the veggies! Turn the oven to 425F. Cut the jalapeno in half and make a decision on seeds: If you love spice, leave them in. If you’re medium, take out half. If spice scares you, take out all the seeds and ribs! I took out almost all the seeds, and this shiz was still plenty spicy. Peel and halve the onion, too.
Now, we build hummus. In a food processor or blender, add the lightly drained beans (a little of the canning liquid is a good thing, but if you cook your own beans just add a bit more olive oil), cumin, and olive oil.
Then gently peel the roasted garlic clove once it’s cool enough to handle. If the edges are a bit hard no worries; it’ll soften in the food processor.
Add the roasted veggies to the bowl of the food processor, and we’re off to the races!
Definitely plan on making it for your next partaY, football-related or otherwise. The roasted veggies add a GREAT flavor to the beans, and the lime juice +zest gives a kind of Hint-Of-Lime aura to the whole thing.
- 28 ounces canned pinto beans, lightly drained
- 1 jalapeno, halved and seeded to avoid too much spice if desired
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat the oven to 425F. Place the jalapeno, onion, and garlic in a small dish. Roast the vegetables until charred at the edges and softened, for about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly to handle.
- To a food processor or blender, add the beans, roasted jalapeno and onion, garlic (remove the skin), cumin, juice of the entire lime, and olive oil. Blend until smooth, and taste: add salt to your preference and more olive oil if needed to smoothen the dip.
- Serve topped with the lime zest. Enjoy!