Welcome back from your holiday! I think we can all agree that raw + vegan isn’t my usual MO when it comes to cooking, but I was looking for something super light and fresh after a weekend of….you know….not light and fresh, and also I was creating a recipe for a raw contest and THIS happened and it is actually delicious, even without fat, cooking or animal products.
You know how lime juice can cook stuff and that’s why it’s used with raw fish to cook it juuuuuust a little bit in regular ceviche? It’s delicious, and this is a pure-veg version of that. The flavors of the varying veg and fruit and really delicious, AND since there ain’t no cooking this is done FAST. Like, 10 minutes to make, 20 minutes to rest, eat. You could eat it right away if you’re in a hurry, but I like this after it rests with the lime juice just for a little bit.
Let’s get right to it!
Now, I made quick work of the veggies with my mandoline, which I’d highly suggest investing in if you don’t own one. If you’re not into random sharp objects in your drawers (um….not those drawers), just use a sharp knife and slice everything as thinly as you can.
Squeeze the lime juice into the vegetables, and stir to coat the veg in the lime, which will soften and cook the veggies. Now, set the salad aside for 20-30 minutes – we don’t want the veggies to go for too long since they’re sliced so thinly.
Then, top the whole mess with parsley, and SERVE! I like to add the blueberries last because I don’t want them to start cooking – I want them to stay sweet to balance the tart from the lime. I also serve this with a slotted spoon so the veg juice that might come out while the ceviche sits doesn’t end up on your plate.
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 spring onion or 1/4 regular onion
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime, zested, zest reserved
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon torn parsley leaves
- Using a mandonline or very sharp knife, thinly slice the squash, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Toss the vegetables with the lime juice and let sit for 20-30 minutes until slightly softened. Add the lime zest and blueberries and stir together right before serving.
- Serve with a slotted spoon to eliminate some of the juices topped with the parsley.