Like…3 ingredients plus some olive oil easy.
Like…it’s the holidays and it’s all about 3 ingredient dinners plus a salad or dinner simply just doesn’t happen, ya know?
I’m feeling a little overwhelmed. And also like I never want to see another meatball in my life.
But this dinner! It’s amazing, really quick, has all the same ham/swiss/chicken flavors that we know and love about Cordon Bleu, BUT nothing is fried because ain’t nobody got time or patience or energy or calories for that. Pan-sear that ish.
All we do is wrap the chicken, pound the chicken, sear the chicken, and we have dinner. I love simple sides with this – brown rice and a roasted green veg like broccoli that can be working at the same time as the chicken, and we can end up with dinner in 30. First, dice up the cheese. You can also use slices of cheese and just fold them in half to tuck under the ham. No worries.
When the chicken is all ready, heat a skillet to medium heat with some oil. You can wrap the chicken way in advance if you’d like too! When the skillet is hot, place the chicken in the pan with the ham seam-side down. The ham will kind of cook together and make a nice seal.
Now, we just let the chicken cook through! 5-8 minutes on each side, depending on how thick your chicken is. We want the ham to sizzle but not get too brown while the chicken cooks, so turn the heat up or down if you need to. When you flip the chicken you’ll start to notice some gooey and crispy cheese bits, which are basically heaven.
When the chicken is cooked through, we’ve got dinner! Like I said, since the chicken is so flavorful you can go really simple with the side dishes, or even skip the carb if you’re into that kind of thing. I there are any juices left in the chicken pan PLEASE drizzle them over your plate – they taste like ham and cheese which is very sexy.
- 2 chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese such as Jarlsberg, diced
- 4 thin slices ham or prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat with the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, lay the chicken on a large piece of plastic wrap. Mound half the cheese on each piece, then wrap tightly with the prosciutto. Cover the chicken with another piece of plastic, and use a mallet or heavy skillet to pound the chicken to set the cheese and ham.
- When the oil is hot, unwrap the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes on each side, more if needed, until the ham is crispy and the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Serve as desired.