Because here’s the thing. A quick Google of the holiday indicates that either super fancy desserts or super fancy (read: expensive) brunches are how we prove to our mamas that we love them. Is that how it is in your family? I’m sorry if so, or jealous that you’re a better baker and/or more wealthy than me?
In my family, however, my sweet mother is all “don’t spend your moneyyyyy! I don’t need anythinnnnggg!!” Not really shrill but just kind of … guys. I know you love me. Money doesn’t change that. Thank goodness, because I have precious little money. I’m also relatively terrible at baking complicated things because I have zero patience, but WHO among us doesn’t love a good sweet especially for a holiday celebrating the very one that gave us life? Or raised us? Or did motherly things for us? People with all sorts of definitions of mothering deserve these bars, is my point.
Here’s your answer. If you’re celebrating anything or anyone this weekend and want to make a nice gesture without breaking the bank or spending half the day on something that might fail, MAKE THESE. They’re simple, taste like an effing Reese’s, and have peanut butter (antioxidants), graham (probably definitely a whole grain), and peanut butter (protein, duh). So, basically a health food.
You need lots of peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate chips. Seriously. The end. You could probably play around with flavors and add vanilla or some spices, but why even bother?
Since there’s no baking, this goes really quick. So, prep a 9×13 or equivalent pan with cooking spray or some parchment paper. I use 1 strip of parchment paper along the bottom of the pan with the ends sticking out for easy bar removal later on. Then, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the powdered sugar…
Smooth it out, then place the bars in the fridge for at least an hour to chill. When you can’t handle it anymore, carefully remove the bars from the dish, then cut them! You can also cut them straight in the dish, but I didn’t want to scratch mine.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces (1 bag) chocolate chips
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish or equivalent with cooking spray or parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the butter, graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until smooth. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat 3 or 4 times until the chocolate is totally smooth. Pour the chocolate over the peanut butter mixture and smooth into an even layer.
- Chill the bars for 1 hour or for a few days, covered, in the fridge, then cut into bars and serve.