A Juicy Lucy! You’ve heard of this, right? It’s a burger with stuff inside. I actually hate the name really strongly, so we’re just calling this a stuffed slider. OF COURSE you can make this in a larger burger size, but why? Cookouts always have so many sexy sides, having a huge burger sometimes takes up space in your tummy that you NEED for those. Or for 57 beers. Whatever, they’re light.
So here we go: a super simple burger stuffed with swiss on buttery toasted buns with a little mustard sauce that goes GREAT with the swiss cheese. It’s almost French but totally not, and just a teensy bit different from a standard burger in that we eliminate the yellow cheese, bacon, and ketchup. BUT you can totes put those back on and this burger might be even better. OR. What about stuffing a few slices of sauteed mushroom inside with the swiss? Think on it.
Crazy modifications aside, for these you need ground beef, salt, Worcestershire sauce, butter, slider buns, swiss cheese, lettuce pickles, mayonnaise, and grainy mustard. Or any other kind of mustard you like!
Now, burgers! You can grill these outside, but I cook them inside in a cast iron skillet in butter, because why not? You want a HOT skillet with bubbly butter. Grill the burgers for just 3 minutes or so on each side – we want nice browned sliders and the cheese to be ooey gooey on the inside with a tiny bit of pink left in the meat if you can manage it.
Absolutely perfect for kicking off the summer. Make them!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slider buns
- 4 slices swiss cheese, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons grainy mustard
- lettuce leaves and sliced pickles, optional, for serving
- Preheat the broiler to high. Arrange the cut slider rolls face up on a baking sheet and top each with a thin slice of butter. Broil the buns for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the aioli. Combine the mayo, mustard, and 1 teaspoon of the Worcestershire sauce. Taste, and add a sprinkle of salt if you'd like.
- Combine the beef with the remaining tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and the salt. Form into 16 thin patties, each slightly larger than the slider buns. Top 8 of the patties with 2 squares of the swiss, then place another patty on top to form a sandwich. Press the edges of the burgers together so you end up with 8 slider-sized burgers stuffed with 2 squares of swiss cheese each.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon of butter in a cast iron skillet. Working in batches if you need to, griddle the sliders for about 3 minutes on each side until browned on the outside and warm on the inside.
- Layer the slider buns with lettuce, pickles, aioli, and a burger. EAT.
- Patties may be made and stuffed in advance, then grilled right before serving.
- Burgers may be grilled instead of cooked inside, or even broiled for 2 minutes on each side. Cook them as you would your favorite burger!