My bestie Heather and I have some pretty extensive happy hours, and the food has recently become more and more important since I can drink about 7 tiny swallows of wine without feeling guilty (of what, the fact that other people like to shame me and quote old research? in short, yes.). We do breads, cheeses, these tomatoes, fruits and veggies, all in the name of “absorbing the wine.” It works for us.
A few weeks ago we were having one such important business meeting and she said “I made guacamole! But with lots of sour cream.” And BOY did she mean it. This was a recipe invented out of necessity, she had half an avocado and other flavorful things that didn’t quiiiiite make more than a few chipfulls of regular guac, so this dip came about. Mostly sour cream, some avocado, flavors for eons. We’ve both been making it for various other people for the past month or so, and it’s been a massive hit with everyone who has tried it. So, while I can’t take a lick of credit for this recipe, it needed to be one that you started making right. this. moment. If you hate guacamole you’ll LOVE this. And if you love guacamole you’re probably already drooling.
You need sour cream, avocados, lime, diced tomatoes, garlic and onion (that’s the watery piles of stuff), and cumin. Maybe a little salt. I went ahead and grated the onion and the garlic so that all the juice would get into the dip but with no chunks of anything too strong-tasting. You can also just mince them together really finely, it’s totally up to you.
Now, very gently stir everything together and taste it one more time to see if you’d like to add more salt. It’s completely up to you, but remember that avocados are pretty bland on their own and need a lot of salt to make their flavor pop. So, don’t be afraid of an extra sprinkle!
As for the avocados browning, they still do. The sour cream kind of hides the off-putting brown color, and of course the dip is OK to eat for a few days after you make it, it’s just not very pretty. If you’d like to make the whole dish ahead of time, put it in a plastic container and press plastic wrap RIGHT over the dip, then put the plastic lid over that. This takes all of the oxygen off the avocado, which slows down the browning process. But, it’s such a quick dip that I like to make it right before I serve it.
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- chips, for dipping
- Dice the avocados. In a bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice, cumin, onion, garlic, and all but 1/2 cup of the diced avocado. Mash with a fork to achieve a smooth consistency. Gently fold in the remaining avocado and tomatoes. Taste, and add as much salt as you'd like to the dish - remember that avocados generally need a good amount of salt to balance the tart of the sour cream and lime.
- Serve with chips immediately. Enjoy!
- I use a microplane to grate the garlic and onion to catch all the juice in the dip. If you don't have a little grater just finely chop/mince the onion and garlic together.
- If you'd like to make this ahead, just prep everything but the avocado in a bowl, then mash and stir in the avocado and tomato at the last minute to prevent it from turning brown.