OMG there are 2 weeks until Thanksgiving. TWO WEEKS.
Jay turns 35 on Thanksgiving this year, so we’re forgoing turkey and just eating cake all day.
Not really. BUT, 2 weeks out is definitely not too early to start planning for a big meal, right? In our family my dad makes turkey and a few sides that are the same every year, my mom makes this pumpkin pie that I adore, and I make two or three decidedly unhealthy sides or appetizers to offset the fact that my family is inherently super duper healthy and THANKSGIVING, people.
Here are some of my favorites:
- For appetizers, I really really like doing roasted tomatoes because I can make them way in advance and serve them with crackers or bread or whatever remnants of other stuff I have on hand.
- If I get there early enough, meatballs are great for a hardier, more filling appetizer. Bacon blue cheese meatballs for life, yo!
- These brussels with bacon will probably make the cut this year.
- Cheez-It topped mac and cheese without the chicken has been present at every family gathering for awhile now.
- This garlicky rice pilaf is easy and can be made ahead, plus it soaks up gravy realllllly well.
- And, since they’re new, the salt and vinegar potatoes from a few weeks ago will likely make the cut.
PS am I the only one that could legit just eat sides and forgo the turkey altogether? I actually like ham better, but my family isn’t a ham family. Maybe the baby will make us a ham family?