I think I’ve talked about this before, and you’ve probably seen it floating around the interwebz – you can healthify and simplify most boxed dessert recipes by using canned pumpkin in place of the water/egg/oil/butter, bake, and go. It’s easy, and if you add some pumpkin spices you, like, totally basic-bitch your dessert UP and make it totes seasonally appropriate.
Which is exactly what I did. Brownies + pumpkin + spices, boom. Mother effing seasonally appropriate brownies that are in the oven in MINUTES, and in your face in under an hour.
There are really no instructions needed here. Grab a box of your favorite brownie mix, grab some pumpkin spice, and grab a 15-ounce can of plain pureed pumpkin. There’s a little note below if you don’t have pumpkin spice, but mainly you just kind of sprinkle in some other cinnamony stuff if you don’t have a jar of the blend. No worries!
Then we bake! Go 5 minutes or so LONGER than the cooking time on the box. It’s unusual for brownies, but the pumpkin and lack of leavening from the egg makes these suuuuuuuper moist, almost a cross between fudge and a brownie. So you can totally go longer on the cook time to help them stand up a little bit better.
Make these this week; they’re perfect for the need-something-no-time-or-bright-ideas camp that a lot of us fall into the Monday before Thanksgiving, myself included. Enjoy!
- 1 box brownie mix
- 15 ounces canned plain pureed pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix
- Preheat the oven based on the package instructions and grease a brownie pan.
- In a bowl, combine the brownie mix, pumpkin, and spices. Stir to combine, and spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 5 minutes longer than the cooking time on the box, until a toothpick stuck in the center of the brownies comes out nearly clean. Let the brownies cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- If you don't have pumpkin spice mix, use a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice - 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon or so of the others. Or just cinnamon!