Minestrone with beef, veggies, and pasta is simple, tasty, and healthy + hearty all at once. It’s done in just 30 minutes and is a perfect easy weeknight meal or meal prep for lunch!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces dried short cut pasta, any kind you like
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen green beans, cut to 1-inch pieces
- salt, as needed
- Preheat a large soup pot to medium heat with the beef and olive oil. Cook the beef for 5-7 minutes, crumbling it with a spoon as it browns.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot with a sprinkle of salt and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for one minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, water, and oregano to the soup pot. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil, then add the pasta to the pot. Cook the pasta with the pot covered, stirring every few minutes to be sure the noodles don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook the noodles directly in the soup for 10-15 minutes, about 2 minutes longer than the package directions. When the noodles are tender, uncover the pot and add the green beans.
- Simmer the soup for 5-10 minutes more until the green beans are barely tender. Taste the soup and add more salt to your preference until it is very flavorful.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
If making in advance, stop before adding the pasta to avoid it bloating or getting mushy, then cook the green beans and pasta in the soup right before serving. Alternatively, cook the pasta separately and add to the soup as you serve. Can be made vegetarian: sub 15 ounces canned beans (add at the same time as the green beans) for the beef and veggie stock for beef stock.
I make my own shortcut focaccia and it goes SO well with this. It cooks while the soup simmers!
This pot is my favorite for soups like this!
Keywords: soup, minestrone, italian recipes, beef recipes, ground beef