Garlicky chicken kale meatballs are held together with oats instead of bread, then topped with a light gravy for extra savory flavor. These are the perfect dinner or snack!
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1/2 cup oats (quick cooking or old fashioned is fine)
- 1 green onion, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Add the oats, kale, onion, garlic, oil, and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse the kale mixture until everything is finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl with the egg, parmesan, and ground chicken.
- Carefully form the mixture into meatballs – 24 or so for this recipe. Arrange them on baking sheets about 1-inch apart, then bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden and just cooked through.
- For the gravy, shake or whisk the cold stock with the cornstarch until combined. Transfer to a small skillet over medium-high heat. Let the gravy come to a bubble and thicken, then add salt to your preference.
- Serve the meatballs with the gravy, over rice isn’t a terrible idea.
These can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for a day or so prior to baking, or frozen after being baked and reheated in gravy or tomato sauce.
This makes a wet meat mixture. If it’s too hard to form into meatballs, stick the bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes or so and it will firm up.
Keywords: gluten free, low carb, chicken, italian, meatballs