Chewy kale, smoky grilled chicken and corn, bright, fresh tomatoes and pesto dressing. This zippy summer salad has it all and is filling but great for you.
- 1 bunch Lacinato (flat) kale
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 ears corn, husks removed
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- Remove the stems from the kale leaves with your fingers or a small knife. Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle the kale with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and squish it into the kale using your hands, like you are trying to squeeze water out of the kale. When the kale is coated in the oil, let it sit while you prepare the rest of the salad. This will soften the leaves slightly.
- Make the dressing by combining the pesto, the juice of half the lemon, and ¼ teaspoon salt with a fork.
- Preheat a grill for high heat grilling. Toss the chicken thighs with the lemon zest, ½ teaspoon EACH salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Drizzle the corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the corn until dark marks form, then remove from the grill and allow to cool. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 7 minutes on each side.
- When done grilling, slice the chicken and use a serrated knife to scrape the corn kernels from the cobs. Toss the kale with the juice from the other half of the lemon and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Assemble the salad. Make a bed with the seasoned kale and arrange segments of the corn, chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Drizzle with the pesto dressing. Enjoy!
The kale base of this salad is one that I use all the time, for main dish salads like this one or side salads topped with any other veggies I have. It’s delicious!
Keywords: kale, salads, gluten free, summer, low carb