So it’s a fake drinking and eating holiday, had you heard?
It’s true! People in Mexico don’t all celebrate this glorious day that Corona is now exploiting, which is super weird given the current lack of limes, amirite?
Speaking of limes, last night with dinner I had a (big, amazing) Dos Equis with 3 lemons in it. It wasn’t that bad. Have you had lime issues yet? They still have them at Trader Joe’s, so I’m hoarding the ones that I have and then I guess it’s just lemons or bust, right? Beer with citrus is still good, so I’m kind of OK with it. The lime issue has something to do with drug lords apparently, according to one friend I talked to who clearly knows everything about Mexican drug lords via upstate SC.
But this holiday. To us it’s just a reason to drink beer and eat tacos on a Monday, yes? YES! The problem with Mexican food is that it isn’t traditionally very health at ALL, at least the way they make it here, so I thought it might be nice to give some dinner suggestions that make excessive beer consumption a little bit more manageable for the old waistline, mmkay?
Or just eat queso and chips and run more tomorrow, whatevs. Here are some healthier ideas, though!
- Homemade refried beans. These take awhile, but if you sub the bacon fat for olive oil you’ll end up with super flavorful beans that are healthy and void of chemicals and extra salt like you get in cans.
- Of course, dips! Guac is great because it has healthy fats, and this trio of dips is vegan, AND this peach salsa is super low in fat and calories. Make one or three, and serve veggies WITH whole grain (bonus points for baked!) chips to avoid a carb overload.
- This salsa chicken is quick, easy, and healthy as is. Heck, since it’s a holiday you can even trash it up with some sour cream and cheese if you’re into that kind of thing. Other veggies like mushrooms or zucchini are especially delicious in this dish.
- These white chicken enchiladas aren’t totally healthy, but they’re GOOD. Lighten them up with 94% fat free soups, light or fat free sour cream, and just use half the cheese. They’ll still be delicious!
- If you’ve got some time today, this crock pot chicken is my FAVORITE and goes with just about anything.
- Vegetarian? Tofu tacos!
- I know we’re harping on the chicken today, but REALLY you need to make this salad if you’d like to go super light tonight.
See? Cinco can be healthy AND delicious. Sure, it’s a “holiday” and that means we all go nuts and eat stuff we shouldn’t be eating, but REALLY this stuff is lovely even without tons of cheese and beef, and it’s Monday, so maybe a little bit of moderation, eh?
Until Thursday, when we get back into weekend mode, clearly.
Happy Monday de Mayo!