Creamy, tangy pasta salad is perfect for summer with tons of fresh herbs and chunks of ham and sharp cheddar.
- 24 ounces cavatappi or other short pasta, cooked to al dente and rinsed under water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 spring onion or 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 pound thick cut sweet ham, diced
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine the sour cream, mayo, vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, and taste: adjust to make the dressing creamier, tangier, or saltier, to your preference.
- To the dressing, add the cooked pasta, ham, cheese, onions, and fresh herbs. Stir to coat, and taste again, add salt and pepper to your preference.
- The salad may seem a bit goopy at the beginning, but it will absorb the dressing as it sits and become slightly less creamy. If you make this the day before, you may need to make a bit more dressing and pour it over the salad right before serving.