The best easy spicy turkey burgers! These can be cooked in a cast iron skillet or on the grill and are a great meal prep option to serve over salads throughout the week.
It’s almost here it’s almost here!
The long weekend.
I actually don’t care what you think about patriotism, and does it seem this year especially that patriotism seems a little…off…somehow? I don’t know, maybe I’m just friends with the wrong people on Facebook and they’re clouding my vision. Or I’m in a bad mood. Who knows.
This weekend we just need a burger, though, right?
And you need to make these Spicy Turkey Burgers. Seriously. They aren’t crazy fancy, but the garlicky mayo is juuuuuust different enough that no one will be able to accuse you of making boring turkey burgers. The key here is the meat seasonings, which are pretty strong and spicy and just GOOD, something else I think is really necessary in a turkey burger because ground turkey otherwise can be kind of flavorless.
For these spicy turkey burgers, you’ll need ground turkey, onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper for the burgers. Then the mayo takes garlic and onion. Then we need buns, clearly, swiss cheese, lettuce, and onion. I LOVE tomatoes but sometimes find that they get in the way of other flavors, so I left them off of this burger. Add them if you’d like to your array of toppings!
First, we’ll make the mayo. Grate the garlic directly into the mayo, add a pinch of salt, and squeeze in the lemon juice. Stir. Done! I love this.
Then, we’ll work on the burgers. Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat with some olive oil, preheat the broiler to high, then add all the spices to the ground turkey.
Mix everything all together, then form nice big patties with your hands – use your thumb to press the sides in (kind of like making a wall) so that you can have a really sturdy burger.
When the skillet is really hot, place the burgers in the pan and wash your dang hands.
Now, while the burgers are cooking (they’ll need 5 minutes or more per side), toast the buns, slice the onion, and do any other topping prep that you need to do.
Flip the burgers, then when they’re nearly cooked through top each one with some of the cheese.
Broil the burgers for 1-2 minutes in the skillet, just until the cheese melts. Then, prep your serving area! Honestly that garlic mayo can go on just about anything.
Then, grab an ooey gooey burger.
And my patriotism is back, y’all.
PS! For your meal prep buy extra turkey and use it in this green chicken chili! It’s one of our favorites and super easy + keeps great in the fridge or freezer.Print
Deliciously spiced turkey burgers with a cool lemon aioli + extra garlic and Swiss cheese for FLAVOR. These are made right in a skillet and are the perfect turkey burger for all year long!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more if you’d like
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 slices deli swiss cheese
- sliced onion and lettuce, for serving
- Combine the mayo, garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a small dish. Set aside until ready to serve (in the fridge if you make this well in advance).
- Toast or broil the burger buns lightly.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Preheat the broiler to high. In a bowl, mix the turkey meat, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and generous amounts of salt and pepper with your hands. Form into 2 patties.
- When the oil in the skillet shimmers (usually about the time you’ve finished making the patties), add the burgers and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until cooked through. Top with the cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese.
- Assemble the burgers: spread garlic mayo on both sides of the bun. Add sliced onion and lettuce, top with a burger, and serve!
Keywords: turkey burgers