Delicious southern-style cabbage recipe stewed with butter and black pepper for the most simple side dish.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- salt and pepper
- Place 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat with the onion and cabbage. When the butter melts, pour the stock into the skillet – the liquid should come up about halfway over the cabbage, maybe a bit more.
- Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium low to simmer the cabbage for 20-25 minutes, stirring every once in awhile, until the cabbage is very soft.
- When the liquid is mostly reduced and the cabbage has cooked down, swirl in the remaining butter, taste, and add lots of salt and pepper to your preference. Enjoy!
Vegetarian if vegetable stock is used, vegan if vegetable stock and olive oil are used in place of the butter.